Think Like a Politician?
Effective communication is the cornerstone of every relationship, and dealing with unpredictability is one of the most difficult aspects.
I help my clients and their employees learn and practice a technique that politicians know well: answering the question you want to answer instead of the question you are asked.
This technique is especially effective for:
- Maintaining control of a meeting or interaction
- Dealing with high emotions or people who get off-subject
- Avoiding that ‘deer in the headlights’ feeling
The key to this technique is planning ahead:
- Go into every meeting with 1, 2 or 3 key points
- Breathe, using pauses and silence to your advantage
- Repeat your key points, as needed
Remember to answer the question you want to answer (based on your key points) instead of the question you are asked.
In order for this technique to work, you must avoid these obstacles:
- Lack of planning before the interaction
- Lack of clearly understanding what you want to accomplish in the interaction
- Lack of clearly understanding your own key points
Whether we like our politicians or not they are often extremely effective communicators. We can learn to deal with unpredictability by delivering a well-crafted message.
The Block Group advocates for women-owned businesses, helping them position their companies for strategic growth.
Charting the course for impactful, sustainable, profitable businesses, the beacon is control: of your strategic direction, your money, your time, your staffing, and your ability to bring in business.
Applying this holistic approach to business, The Block Group guides organizations through the business cycle, revitalizing management and promoting growth. We bring together the people, resources and ideas that build results.
All the best!
©The Block Group Inc. All rights reserved.
Building Solid Companies That Move Forward