Productivity as a State of Mind
Do you feel like a puppy chasing her tail?
Do you sometimes wish that time wouldn’t just fly by?
Are you always putting out fires instead of moving your company forward?
I believe that being productive is more than being organized and efficient, more than a state of being: it is a state of mind. ‘Time management’ is a misnomer to me. My productivity isn’t tied to the amount of time I spend on something; it is tied to the outcome.
“Productivity is never an accident. It is always the result of a commitment to excellence, intelligent planning, and focused effort.” Paul J. Meyer
There are several steps that I advise my clients to take to increase their productivity:
- Determine the most productive time of day for you. When do you feel the most energized or creative?
- Divide your day into 3 distinct phases: low tide, rising tide and high tide. Just as the tide phases are linked to the lunar cycle, imagine that your day is linked to your productivity cycle. Plan critical thinking or creative projects for high tide and more mundane tasks for low tide.
- Give yourself the ‘gift of time’. Set aside 10 or 15 minutes between each tide phase for a short walk, a snack, or a visit with your staff. This alone can increase your productivity dramatically.
- Busy does not equal productive, so be careful about focusing on tasks instead of strategy. Certainly schedule time for tasks but consider using your rising or high tide phases for strategic thinking.
- Encourage your staff to follow these ideas, so you are all speaking the same language.
The Block Group advocates for women-owned businesses, helping them position their companies for strategic growth.
Charting the course for impactful, sustainable, profitable businesses, the beacon is control: of your strategic direction, your money, your time, your staffing, and your ability to bring in business.
Applying this holistic approach to business, The Block Group guides organizations through the business cycle, revitalizing management and promoting growth. We bring together the people, resources and ideas that build results.
All the best!
©The Block Group Inc. All rights reserved.
Building Solid Companies That Move Forward